Thursday, January 14, 2010

Fine 319: Chocolate Gnaw



I loved the class reaction to Janine Antoni's Chocolate Gnaw. I wonder how they would react if they knew the rest of the details?

After chewing the chocolate, she spat it out and reconstituted them into heart-shape empty 'chocolate boxes'. And what about the companion piece, Lard Gnaw? Chewing on a 600-pound block of lard, and reconstituting the chewed lard into bright red lipstick.

I think these pieces are extraordinary: it hits you in the gut. It's so visceral -- I'd be surprised if there was anybody who didn't feel something after looking at this piece. It's so personal, so delicious.

It reminds me of the classic Surrealist piece, Meret Oppenheim's Fur Covered Cup and Saucer, from 1936. You can't help but recreate the feeling in your mouth when you see these pieces, and it's startling. If art is about communicating feelings, then these pieces are bang-on.


No comments:

Post a Comment