Friday, January 15, 2010

Fine 319: Donald Judd

I don't know how much I like Donald Judd.

Which is strange, because I tend to adore minimal art. Richard Serra? Yes, please. Charles Ray's Pepto-Bismol box? I almost died from ardor when I saw that in class. But Judd? I don't know...

I'm having difficulties explaining why I don't like him. Then again, so far I've only seen what's been presented in class. So I'm off to do some google searching of images...

[10 minutes later]

Yeah. Judd just doesn't do it for me. A lot of his pieces strike me as cheap Ikea shelves or chairs, with a slight pompousness in their presentation. One of the reasons why I like Charles Ray so much is that he has a sense of humour to his work, like with the Pepto-Bismol. But at the same time, there are some other minimal artists that are equally sombre as Judd, yet I find their work extraordinary. What is it with Judd?

No comments:

Post a Comment