Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Fine 319 Research Journal

On this blog I shall be posting entries for my Fine 319 (Contemporary Art) Research Journal. It will be a venue for me to post about interesting artists and concepts we have come across in class, my meanderings about contemporary art, additional artists and pieces I have come across, and anything else that pops into my head from minimal art to the present day.

So, what topics will this cover? In no particular order, I'm anticipating:

Minimal Art

Post-minimalism

Conceptual Art

Performance Art

Hard Edge Painting

Neo-expressionism

Earthworks

Installation Art

And of course, discussions on late formalism, Abstract Expressionism, late 'modernism', and probably lots of Duchamp. (Please!) I think a blog is an interesting format to use for this project -- as I always carry my laptop with me around campus, this allows me to quickly jot down my thoughts whenever they magically appear in my head. I also quite enjoy researching online. I find myself constantly opening new tabs on my browser, ready to explore a vast array of topics and artists. This is how I discovered some of my favourites, such as Dan Flavin, whom I came across a number of years ago purely by chance. The interconnectivity of contemporary art and the myriad of references that is often distilled in many postmodern pieces means that I have to go find out just what these artists or critics are talking about. "Bürger? Who's that? I have to do a Google search!" "Lyotard? Maybe the library will have some journal articles."

And so, let's begin!


No comments:

Post a Comment